Well to recap Hoot the Grid is simple, it was a success! As a board we set goals on what we wanted to accomplish and we met those goals. The salon looked beautiful, adorned by so many fantastic pieces of art, donated by members of the SMA Community. Again, I want to thank AJF SAlon for welcoming us once more this year. I want to thank Stacey, Takoa, and Sarita for helping make this night a success. I want to thank all of our sponsors for their continued support for our cause.
I want to thank many volunteers that braved the hot weather to come out and assist in all kinds of ways. Lots of SMA Awareness got out in to the community that night and honestly that is what is most important. The more that know, the more people are talking about SMA and then SMA continues to lose hiding places. Mission Complete.
Can we talk about the weather for a second? Listen Sacramento gets hot, but for Pete’s sake. Not even a breeze came by just to help take it down a notch. We heard that had actually kept many people away from the overall 2nd Saturday festivities in Downtown Sacramento. But to quote Pete the Cat; “We just kept rolling along and singing our song, because it is all good.” We made the best of it and we had a great time and for those that came to support Hoot the Grid, we say thank you!
Mark and Getty came for a bit as well. While Mark was inside thanking our guests, Grammy, Getty and I went on a walking adventure. At every block we asked her if she wanted to keeping going. Um…yep. So we walked about 6 blocks and then came back to the salon.
Stacey lit the candle at 8pm to celebrate and honor all of our SMA warriors and angels. The candle lighting is a special moment every year. To know that thousands of people in their own time zone are lighting a candle for the same reason is very powerful. For that moment we are unified in our honor for those affected by SMA and for the one’s that fought so gallantly.
Thank you to all who came to support us.
Alright next steps. There are still 3 ways you can help support us in the month of August if you would like.I will list them.
1. Participate on our SMA Art Online Auction.
2. Attend our SMA Awareness Night game at the River Cats on August 25th.
3. Tell 10! ( it was 6 but I’ll explain)
1. Last year after Hoot the Grid, we immediately opened an online auction, allowing anyone to bid on the remaining pieces of art. I’ll be honest, this was sooooo much fun last year. It was fun to watch people bid and then try to out bid each other. Kind of like wrestling online. 🙂 So this year the online auction will begin Thursday, August 16th. 5 pieces will be offered every day to be bid on. You will have a full 24 hours to bid on those 5 pieces.We have enough artwork to auction off for about week. We will be taking the weekends off from auctioning. We found last year to be very slow and so we want to make sure that all of the incredible art has a chance to be seen by lots of people. We hope you join in starting this THURSDAY.
2. We are very excited about SMA Awareness Night at the River Cats. There is a special way to buy your tickets. If you go to our website there is a button you will click on to purchase the tickets, BUT WAIT! before you go there, notice the quick instructions before the button. You will need to scroll through the linked page and find “Getty Owl Foundation” and then after clicking on that you will include this code: “SMA” and then buy your tickets. Click here to buy tickets.
We apologize if this process is a bit confusing, but this is the only way that Getty Owl Foundation gets “credit” for selling tickets, which turns into some of the proceeds going to the foundation. If you buy tickets on the day of, no proceeds will go to the foundation. If you are having any trouble buying tickets, you are more than welcome to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 916-476-3977. I don’t mind taking you through the process. 🙂
It would be great to get support for this night. Again, awareness is the goal and it is a baseball game. And who doesn’t like a good baseball game. 🙂 Hotdogs, beer or soda, and some good family fun.
3. Okay let me explain Tell 6!. Last year we did Tell 5! which meant we sent out 5 bracelets and 5 SMA Fact cards to anyone in the world who wanted them. Another attempt to spread SMA Awareness. It was a lot of fun and we ended up sending out over about 1,000 bracelets and cards to people around the world. Very cool! Okay so this year, I have decided to bump it up to Tell 10! No reason, only to spread the word as much a possible that will fit in our little manilla envelopes. 🙂 So contact us in any way you want and I will mail them out to you. Your job is to help spread the word. A big thank you to those that that have already offered to help.
Okay so that is the what we are doing for the rest of the month. I know that was a lot of info, but this really is “the” month to take SMA to task. Hope you can join in us in any way you see fit.